Mycoplasma gallisepticum

mandymae1984

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
I had a bird die and sent it to get a necropsy.....results came back as Mycoplasma gallisepticum I had bought around three weeks ago a pair of marans and they have been sick since about a week after we got them. As I understand they may have been healthy looking until we bought them and transfered them to our home from their original home and it caused the symptoms to show due to their stress......my husband culled the other bird today.........I have a flock of 25 birds the dept. of Ag are coming to put us under quarantine for 45 days and to test the rest of the birds........I really don't want to kill my flock and start over I've had these "pet chickens" for 4 years and some longer and I buy two birds to add and now this!!!! Has anyone else delt with this and kept their birds after treatment? I know they are carriers for life but after treatment like I can't go to other's homes who own chickens with out disinfecting ourself or is it just when they are showing symptoms of the disease? I'm so confused llike I feel like we have been infected with something that we need to put ourself in a dome or bubble to stay away from anyone else!

MG is a fairly common respiratory disease all over the world. What state do you live in? I don't think that anyone can make you kill your flock for MG, but perhaps they want to test the birds so that they can be aware of the disease being present in the area. Are there many commercial poultry farms near you or in your state. That could be the reason that they are so interested. In many states, diseases such as MS andILT are reportable diseases. Keep us informed of what is going on in this same thread. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

We are in North Carolina. They cant make us kill them but it is reportable and i have to sign papers that i will not sell these chickens or their eggs for hatching purposes. There arent any farms close by that i am aware of. I did put down the chicken that was bought with the other bc its symptoms were present and getting worse i had been treating her with tylan 50 she would get perky one day and then bad for two days. Will let you know monday what they say. Thanks for your info!

I feel for you. About 5 yrs ago when I first started in poultry it happened to me. My beautiful flock of buff orps sick or dying. It was MS. I went ahead and had them disposed of. I could not bare to watch them getting sicker and sicker and die. I had lost 4 already. Now 5 yrs later I have not had a single case. I do not allow birds in my flock that have not been tested. I am npip and A1 tested and once a yr. I get them to test for MS/MG. The disease can be passed through the eggs too. So sorry to hear you are having this problem. Once they have it they will always have it to some degree. It maybe silent for a long period if they over it the first time but anything that weakens them will cause it to flare up again and remains infectous. It was terrible to get rid of my first flock but better in the long run.

I had a bird die and sent it to get a necropsy.....results came back as Mycoplasma gallisepticum I had bought around three weeks ago a pair of marans and they have been sick since about a week after we got them. As I understand they may have been healthy looking until we bought them and transfered them to our home from their original home and it caused the symptoms to show due to their stress......my husband culled the other bird today.........I have a flock of 25 birds the dept. of Ag are coming to put us under quarantine for 45 days and to test the rest of the birds........I really don't want to kill my flock and start over I've had these "pet chickens" for 4 years and some longer and I buy two birds to add and now this!!!! Has anyone else delt with this and kept their birds after treatment? I know they are carriers for life but after treatment like I can't go to other's homes who own chickens with out disinfecting ourself or is it just when they are showing symptoms of the disease? I'm so confused llike I feel like we have been infected with something that we need to put ourself in a dome or bubble to stay away from anyone else!
Unfortunately you had to learn the hard way about quarantining incoming birds which is part of practicing biosecurity. Since you dont have the desire to cull your birds; you must maintain a closed flock. No new birds in, no birds out, and no selling or giving away eggs to be hatched.
Eventually antibiotics such as tylan and even baytril will be come ineffective treating your sick birds. The bacteria will build resistance to the drugs, much like in humans. Consider purchasing denagard from QC Supply and give it to your birds to drink. There is no resistance nor egg withdrawal.
If you decide to cull all your birds; the good news is that MG stays in the environment 3 days. However it might be best to wait a couple of weeks. This will give you time to disinfect everything; the coop - internally and externally, roosts, nest boxes, feeders and waterers, lime the soil. I recommend oxine for disinfecting. Then perhaps a couple of weeks later you can start again...chicks from a reputable hatchery would be best.
Personally I would cull. I wouldnt want birds suffering not to mention the cost and time spent treating sick birds knowing the disease will never go away nor be cured.

If it is only in one of my pins when they test the birds should i still cull all? The new birds were in a pin with four others but i have a seprate pin with 13 in it if the 13 are negative what would i need to do still cull all this is breaking my heart!

And i did have them separated when i brought them home for 7 days they werent showing signs of sickness til i put them in the pin with the others

If they were seperated and had no contact with the birds anywhere close, have them tested. Kill the others and bury far away. Usually though we carry stuff from pen to pen on our feet hands and clothes. You would hate to get new birds and make them sick. You will over time get over your loss, I have but I will always remember. I had some special pets in the group. I will always remember them. I was told it was safe to eat these birds but I just could not. They were more pets than farm animals to me. Whatever you do, we will understand.

If they were seperated and had no contact with the birds anywhere close, have them tested. Kill the others and bury far away. Usually though we carry stuff from pen to pen on our feet hands and clothes. You would hate to get new birds and make them sick. You will over time get over your loss, I have but I will always remember. I had some special pets in the group. I will always remember them. I was told it was safe to eat these birds but I just could not. They were more pets than farm animals to me. Whatever you do, we will understand.
x2.

Back
Top Bottom