Mycoplasma, how long??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MommaOrp, Jun 12, 2011.

1. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    My flock is currently experiencing Mycoplasma. We've been to the vet and he's given us Tylan soluble. My chooks have been on it for 3 days today, thats supposed to be how long i should administer the antibiotics for (half teaspoon to 2 litres of water, fresh everyday for 3 days). I just wondered how long it will take to see some improvement as they are still sneezing, i don't expect miracles and i've also dealt with this last year but i can't remember how long before they were better, does anyone know??

2. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Please can someone offer some advice, i'm very worried about them all, i cant bare the thought of losing them!! [​IMG]

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've been reading good things about treating MG with denegard. I think it is available in the UK. Type "denegard" into the BYC search box and read up on it if you wish.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You need to remember that the meds will treat the symptoms of the disease, but not really cure it. They'll be carriers for life and can pass it on to any new birds you get or hatch out.

6. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    i understand. I just can't cull them all, its heartbreaking, i don't know what to do.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  8. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Thanks very much dawg53 thats article is very informative, there has been no blood tests involved, how do i know its definitely mycoplasma? and what are your opinions on how i should handle this guys? It's killing me here!![​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    A blood sample would have to be sent to a lab or a veterinary school of medicine at a university or college. You can also contact an agricultural/livestock governmental agency or contact your vet and get info from him. Perhaps a vet could draw a blood sample and send it off for testing. Might cost you some money though.
    It definitely sounds like MG, but like you said, you wont know til a blood test is done. You have the choice to cull or treat. There's a wide range of antibiotics to use; you already have tylan...which is pretty strong. Baytril is at the top of the list as far as I know. Oxine might work as well as denegard. Good luck.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:You either keep a closed flock or you cull all your birds and start over with new birds. Until you have the testing done tho you won't know for sure what you're dealing with. Just make sure you don't sell your birds or eggs and pass the problem on to someone else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by