mycoplasma or not? UPDATE: my flock survived and should be safe now

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengr, Mar 8, 2015.

1. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    my chickens have been diagnosed mycoplasma (I explained the symptoms, only 1 pullet was checked by the vet 2 days after I started to treat them). I give them antibiotics. as 1 pullet got swollen face 3 days after I started the therapy, I suspect they might have caught some virus instead. they have a lot of mucus, but once the mucus has gone they breathe normally, eat and drink.

would they get worse once they have started the antibiotic therapy if it was mycoplasma indeed? It has been a week since the first one got sick, still dealing with mucus but eats and drinks. thank god, all of them are still alive and I hope they will get healed. beyond antibiotics I give them acv, garlic, cayenne pepper and honey. I also put some iodine in their water (I have been advised by an old man to do so).

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am pretty sure there is a mycoplasma gallisepticum blood test your vet may have access to. That would be one way to find out, and another is necropsy (bird must be deceased or put down for that. Contact your state vet or county extension agent if interested, is what I have read.

Other than those two methods, there is no other way to know as far as I know.

With respiratory disease in chickens the symptoms can come and go. Sorry I don't know the answers to all your questions. I hope you can find the answers.

3. ChickensAreSweet

Oh I just noticed you are in Greece!

Hmm I don't know if you have the same blood test over there. If you simply have to guess, then here is a nice link with diagnosis charts at bottom but it won't say too much, as there are other respiratory diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

With a swollen face and lots of mucus that could easily be mycoplasma from what I have read. The antibiotics cure the symptoms for awhile but they don't take away the disease, and the symptoms can come and go, especially when the chicken is stressed.

It is also called "chronic respiratory disease" by some people...search BYC for some other threads too if interested. If it is mycoplasma it can be transmitted from the mother hen to the chick in the egg as well.

I hope this helps!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    thank you for the information.

thank god they are alive! there is no blood test here where I live (on an island). and I checked the link you mentioned above and that is exactly what confused me. my chickens don't have symptoms that match anything mentioned there. and I believe that my pullet shouldn't have gotten swollen face after 3 days of the antibiotic therapy. only viruses cannot be treated with antibiotics. and they didn't have runny nostrils or eyes. the mucus stayed inside and once they started to sneeze they spilled it out. it was thick. after that my pullets started to breathe normaly. only my cockerel did not cough or sneeze and his nostrils and mouth are full of mucus. I put him a deep dish with water in which I put acv and garlic and, my poor little thing, keeps putting half of his head inside to clear his nostrils. I change that water 3-4 a day and there is so much mucus in it that I suspect that he got candida albicans from the antibiotics. my other chickens are healthy, they forage all day long. I give them oxytetracycline in water just in case (that is what the vet told me).

5. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    update:

the vet took blood from my cockerel and sent it to athens to analyze. result: infectious bronchitis followed by e. colli. he gave to the cockerel a baytril injection as he was at point of dying. thank god he is much better now.

6. ChickensAreSweet

Oh I am so happy he is better and also that you are able to find such wonderful assistance where you live for your birds!

1 person likes this.
  7. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    just got back from the vet. good news: as the two weeks have passed my flock should live! my cockerel still needs time to recovery but he is much, much better. didn't need another injection, just 4 baytril pills more and then oxytetracycline in water with the rest of the flock till april 10th (chickens need 40 days of therapy to get completely well). my pullets are out of the house with the others who accepted them without any problem. another cockerel just fine but I will wait till the sick one gets better and see how to put them back together - this is going to be a challenge now!

8. ChickensAreSweet

Oh good! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by