mycoplasma question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by audy5000g, Jul 2, 2016.

1. audy5000g

audy5000g Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    It appears that I have some turkeys with this bacteria. My concern is that it's going to spread to the rest of the turkeys possibly the meat birds and the rest of our chickens.

What do I do? I really don't want to give them antibiotics because they are meat turkeys but my options seem slim.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Cull them. If you don't it will spread to the rest of your birds. Even if you treat they still carry it and will spread it to your other birds. It's airborne and spread on fomites. I had it once and it made it from my workshop where I brood my chicks all the way from one half of my property to the other half and infected my marans flock before I caught it and culled everyone. If you don't cull you're going to have to consider all your birds carriers and run a closed flock, which means no selling birds, chicks, or even eggs (since it is actually spread right through the egg to the chick and chicks hatch infected with it), no taking birds to shows where you will infect other people's birds, etc.

You'll also want to keep a close eye on your uninfected birds now. Mycoplasma has up to a two week incubation time so newly infected birds won't necessarily show symptoms right away.

What makes you think it's mycoplasma? What symptoms do they have? Have you culled one and sent it off for necropsy? You might want to confirm it's something this serious before culling, although if they're showing all the classic signs I'd personally cull now just to be safe and then send one off for necropsy to confirm before it has a chance to start spreading, especially since they're meat birds that you intended to kill at some point anyway and not a rare heritage breed or anything like that.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  3. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    I no clue if they have it. Some just said they might.

No idea how to send a bird or who to send it to?

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

What symptoms are you seeing that make you suspect it? You can generally send them to your state vet for a necropsy or they can point you in the right direction of how to get one done.

5. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    How do I find mi state vet?

We lanced Two turkey face and thick white goo came out. It was clear.

[​IMG]

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yeah, sinusitis is a common sign of it in turkeys. You really might want to cull one and get it tested. What state are you in? I'll see if I can find your state vet's contact info for you.

7. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    Michigan

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Okay, according to the state vet directory, the phone number you want is 800-292-3939. It also looks like Michigan State University has a phone number of (517) 432-4700 that you may be able to call and get info from them about a necropsy. You may want to try them first and see what they say.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  9. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    OK, will do. I did email someone from Michigan State but they never got back to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by