?mycoplasma? sick animals, worried how many i may lose :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by georgeandmildredgoose, Oct 3, 2011.

1. georgeandmildredgoose

georgeandmildredgoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Gloucestershire UK
    this morning i had 3 rescue battery hens, 2 cockerals, 2 geese, and 5 rabbits.

i now have 1 less hen. over the last few weeks had lost 2 more.

the hens and cockerals started sneezing, with a watery discharge a few days ago, they are having tylan in the drinking water.

a couple of days after 2 rabbits started breathing faster. getting out of breath real easy, chests sound clear, no discharge. they are on baytril injections now.

today my gander started with fast breathing......now on the tylan too.

the hens and gesse used to have the same run, but seperated them when the treatment started. the rabbits are somewhere else altogether. the only way germs could be shared are on feet......

samples have been taken from the hen that died today, sent for mycoplasma. as i understand rabbits dont get this, im a bit lost as to whats going on, feeling sad that i may lose all or some of my animals.

they are all eating and behaving normal except for whats been mentioned above. my guess is the hens or cockerals have bought someting in as they are the newest additions.

any words of wisdom out there??? [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with your assessment that one of your new birds possibly brought in something. I cant speak for your rabbits. As for acquiring new chickens it's recommended that new birds be quarantined for at least 30 days in order for you to fully inspect/treat them for external parasites, treat for internal parasites, other problems they may have and waiting for respiratory diseases to manifest themselves...giving you time to treat the disease or cull them. If it's a respiratory issue and you decide to treat them, the birds will remain carriers and will spread it to the rest of your flock as you have found out. Antibiotics will treat the symptoms, but wont cure the disease. Some diseases can be spread not only on shoes...but also on clothing, your hands, waterers/feeders, through the air, direct or indirect contact depending on what disease it is. Some are passed through eggs. If you keep them, you'll have to maintain a closed flock...none in, none out, no giving away nor selling eggs to be hatched. The diseases will eventually become resistant to antibiotics and you will have to use more powerful antibiotics as time goes by. As you know, antibiotics are useless against viral diseases.

3. georgeandmildredgoose

Jul 12, 2011
    Gloucestershire UK
    i wish and wish i had qurantined them, feels like i have ruined everything! thanks for your reply humble.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:When your results come back and IF it's mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) you can treat your birds with denagard. There is no resistance nor withdrawal from it. The key here is "no resistance." Type "denagard" in the BYC search box and read up on it if you wish...to include dosages etc...It can be purchased from QC Supply. Here's a link to denagard and how it treats MG:
    http://www.denagard.com/pig-poultry-public/en/index.shtml

5. georgeandmildredgoose

Jul 12, 2011
    Gloucestershire UK
    thanks for that info about the dengard, will post results when back.

well, everyone made it through the night, hopefully we wont lose anymore today.

6. georgeandmildredgoose

Jul 12, 2011
    Gloucestershire UK
    can anyone add anything else?[​IMG]

7. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I just spoke to my vet today about mycoplasma, she said treat with tetracycline. It can be bought at Fleet Farm or whatever you have, it goes by the name Duramycin. It comes in powder, under $5

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Duramycin will work til the disease becomes resistant to it, then another more powerful antibiotic will have to be used such as tylan, til that becomes resistant... then baytril, til that becomes resistant. With denagard, there is no resistance, no withdrawal.

9. georgeandmildredgoose

Jul 12, 2011
    Gloucestershire UK
    hi, thanks for the further replies.
    it was confirmed as a mycoplasma, so glad i know, so glad i had the samples sent off.
    the 2 remaining hens, 2 banty cockerals, 2 geese, and 5 rabbits all remain.
    will keep the tylan on stand-by and follow dawg's advice to upgrading a needs be.
    as the result was mycoplasma and rabbits cant get this, it was just an un-happy coincidence this all happened at once. how to kick a girl when she's down eh?
    but all recovered and well a the moment [​IMG]

thanks again for all the response

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thanks for getting back with us. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by