Mycoplasma?

gltrap54

Songster
13 Years
Mar 26, 2010
I'm losing hens due to what I'm guessing is Mycoplasma... I've never had any serious health issues with my flock so I'm wondering if this will eventually kill all my birds?

I'm losing hens due to what I'm guessing is Mycoplasma... I've never had any serious health issues with my flock so I'm wondering if this will eventually kill all my birds?
Not necessarily. Some birds can recover from symptoms but they will always be carriers and symptoms can reoccur with any kind of stress.

Just keep in mind you will have to keep a closed flock now. Any chickens that you introduce will become infected

Can you please post some photos of the birds, their faces and describe their symptoms?

Where are you located in the world?
How old are the hens?
Did you bring in new birds?

Mycoplasma is fairly common and unless very severe or there's secondary infection - most birds can recover when symptoms are treated with antibiotics.

Tylan/Tylosin, Tiamulin (Denagard) or Tetracyclines can be used to treat symptoms.

If you are losing a lot of birds, then it's good idea to send a body to your state lab to have testing to find out what you are dealing with. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Back
Top Bottom