nikki1496 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    anyone have them? i want one so badly they are adorable

2. Starstuff969

Starstuff969 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Lone Star State
    Last one I seen was years ago. It was over ten years old and $1200.00.

3. Hi! I, too, would love to have a Minah.....always have wanted one. I have traveled a lot in the U.S. and I've only seen a few. I lived in Ohio and that's the only place I saw them in pet stores, for some reason. Just wanted to give you a bit of info I recently found out. Did you know (I didn't) that the Minah bird is an inhabitant of Australia? There, they are pests, can you believe that??! They are a bother to the people in Australia & they look for ways to get rid of them! And, here, we want them. I want one because they are such good talkers. I heard, also, that the male birds talk better than the females. I wish I could get one that someone wants to rehome. They cost more money than I have to buy them. Well.....just was some info I found recently and didn't know if you knew this. I'm going to keep looking and, good luck to you, I hope you find one!

4. Rosa moschata

Rosa moschata Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Mynahs used to be more commonly seen (and cheaper) back in the days of importation. Now, they must be captive-bred -- and it's a bit trickier than breeding some other birds, hence the jump in price. To the OP -- you are fortunate to be living in California, where there are a lot of bird breeders, including those specializing in softbills. Do some googling for care information (you'll want to pay close attention to diet), and you'll likely land upon some breeders in your state. If you still want one, that would be the way to go.

When most people ask about mynahs as pets, they're referring to the Hill Mynah (Gracula religiosa), which includes several subspecies. If you read about introduced mynahs, that usually refers to the Common Mynah (Acridotheres tristis), and this is the species which is considered a pest in Australia.

:)

5. Wow! I so appreciate you telling me about the Minahs. So, I should look for "Hill" Minahs. Thank you, so much, for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by