Mypetchicken.com Ameraucana eggs Real? EE?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Corg33, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Corg33

Corg33 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2011
    Dinwiddie, VA
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Last I heard they're the real deal. Last year, or maybe it was the year before that, I can never get 'em straight - They only had BBS birds and from what I hear, they got them from Gabbard Farms, however Gabbard Farms is known for having very poor examples of Ameraucanas and often sells EE instead of Am's.

But, from what I hear, this is indeed the real deal. Egg color and plumage color though I'd assume won't be the best. Your best bets are getting eggs from someone on this forum - Lots of folks here offer very nice stock for some cheap prices. My first Ameraucanas I got were very cheap, and although half had slightly green tinted eggs, it was still seriously worth it. [​IMG]

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    My MPC "ameraucana" is a very typically colored EE. She was from August 1, 2011 hatch. She does lay blue/green eggs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Corg33

Dec 20, 2011
    Dinwiddie, VA
    Illia
    I love your pic. I want a variety of eggs like that someday.

BlazeJester
    She is pretty and thats a nice egg.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You bought her from "real" Ameraucana hatching eggs? I'm so sorry to hear of that. She's still a hen with blue eggs, still a pet, but not a real Ameraucana.

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    MPC does sell easter eggers- as chicks. Illia is right about the eggs and they are likely from Gabbard. They mix their colors, so you have the possibility of EEs. And they also ship in egg cartons, so you will be lucky if anything hatches at all. You'd be better off ordering EEs from MPC and at least you'd get some girls out of the deal.

7. Corg33

Dec 20, 2011
    Dinwiddie, VA
    I was more curious than anything with all the hatcheries that sell EE as Ameraucanas. I have EE that are 3 weeks old now and I think I will be happy with those. I just want a variety of colors in my egg basket. Ameraucanas seem like a wonderful breed but I think its a little confusing when pure can still make EE and what not. It has kinda taken the fun out of it. On the other hand The Cream Legbars have me [​IMG]. Being sexable at birth and have blue eggs! whats not to love!

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cuckoo Araucanas are sexable at birth and have blue eggs. [​IMG] Same goes for any barred/cuckoo colored EE as well. In fact, last I heard, Legbars' blue eggs are just as good and varied as Araucana and Ameraucana eggs. I used to think they're amazing and super-blue from the photos but I'm starting to hear otherwise from new owners. Personally, just my opinion, I prefer my birds not to look like a Leghorn.

9. Corg33

Dec 20, 2011
    Dinwiddie, VA
    I dont fancy the Araucanas much because they are rumpless. The "rare" factor factors in too on wanting the legbars and I figured as much about the eggs. We are just starting out and have lots to learn. I am on here reading up on different things everyday. Right now im just waiting on the chicks to grow up and give me pretty eggs that start my day off with a smile when they crack over that hot frying pan. I am sure after that becomes the norm things will change. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by