Mypetchicken -- Do they sex accurately?

Fawkes

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2011
I'm wondering whether Mypetchicken is a good hatchery and whether they sex accurately? Has anyone ordered females and got a male?

If I'm going to spend $80 on 5 bantams & shipping to make sure I get females I would hope they ARE all females....

There's about a 10% chance of error, no matter who sexes them.
hmm.png

As i understand it.... MPC is a broker, they contract to hatcheries to handle thier small volume orders. so no better or worse that average. If you must be certain, vent sexing isn't too hard to learn, and I do it at the feed store when picking out chicks (you do know to look over each chick so you don't pick ut one with bad deformities.

Thanks
hmm.png
I wonder what my chances are... I wouldn't mind roos at all but we're not really supposed to have them...and I know I could never give a beloved pet away. I'd be way too close to him
hmm.png

I wouldn't be able to sex chicks myself...just the thought of it scares me
lol.png

Is shipping normally around $30 on MPC? Or is that high? I suppose it depends on where you live...

Quote:
This is true, however I believe in this case MPC employs their own person to sex bantams, because they are the only ones that do it, to date.

Quote:
Shipping is often dependent on the number of chicks you buy-- If you buy less than X number of chicks (the number depends on the hatchery, it's usually around 10 or 15) then they must be shipped Express(1-2 days), which is more expensive. This is because with so 'few' bodies to keep them warm they can get cold quickly. If you order over X number of chicks, most places will ship Priority (2-3 days) which is cheaper.

I think MPC only offers Express shipping, hence if you buy a large number of chicks it might be more expensive to ship them from MPC than from other places.

The hatcheries and brokers that offer small orders (as few as 3 chicks) must ship them Express otherwise so few chicks in a box would usually not make it due to loss of body heat.

Hope this helps!

I ordered 15 from MPC and they are just 5 weeks old. There is 1 that looks a lot different from the rest I'm a bit worried that it might be a Roo

Back
Top Bottom