Mypetchicken -- Do they sex accurately?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Fawkes, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    I'm wondering whether Mypetchicken is a good hatchery and whether they sex accurately? Has anyone ordered females and got a male?

If I'm going to spend $80 on 5 bantams & shipping to make sure I get females I would hope they ARE all females....

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    There's about a 10% chance of error, no matter who sexes them. [​IMG]

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    As i understand it.... MPC is a broker, they contract to hatcheries to handle thier small volume orders. so no better or worse that average. If you must be certain, vent sexing isn't too hard to learn, and I do it at the feed store when picking out chicks (you do know to look over each chick so you don't pick ut one with bad deformities.

4. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    Thanks [​IMG] I wonder what my chances are... I wouldn't mind roos at all but we're not really supposed to have them...and I know I could never give a beloved pet away. I'd be way too close to him [​IMG]

5. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    I wouldn't be able to sex chicks myself...just the thought of it scares me [​IMG]

Is shipping normally around $30 on MPC? Or is that high? I suppose it depends on where you live...

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Quote:This is true, however I believe in this case MPC employs their own person to sex bantams, because they are the only ones that do it, to date.

Quote:Shipping is often dependent on the number of chicks you buy-- If you buy less than X number of chicks (the number depends on the hatchery, it's usually around 10 or 15) then they must be shipped Express(1-2 days), which is more expensive. This is because with so 'few' bodies to keep them warm they can get cold quickly. If you order over X number of chicks, most places will ship Priority (2-3 days) which is cheaper.

I think MPC only offers Express shipping, hence if you buy a large number of chicks it might be more expensive to ship them from MPC than from other places.

The hatcheries and brokers that offer small orders (as few as 3 chicks) must ship them Express otherwise so few chicks in a box would usually not make it due to loss of body heat.

Hope this helps!

7. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    we bought six hens from MYpetchicken all lived and all were hens

8. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

My MPC chicks are almost 8 weeks old and I don't see any appearance or behavior that would suggest a sexing mix-up. All five of my birds are beautiful!

9. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Ordered from them twice...both times asked for all pullets and both times received all pullets.

So, so far, MPC 2...errors 0.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  10. SeanS

SeanS New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    I ordered 15 from MPC and they are just 5 weeks old. There is 1 that looks a lot different from the rest I'm a bit worried that it might be a Roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by