MYRTLE CAN'T WALK

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Debbie Churchill, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Debbie Churchill

Debbie Churchill In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2018
    We have buffs. Only about 5. They free range and I have never had any illness problems until a couple days ago. One of my hens suddenly can't walk. She just scoots with one wing down for balance. I've had her in the house for the past 2 nights. She is eating, drinking and pooping ok. I added a little Vit D yesterday to her water and today tried a B Complex in her water. I was reading an article from a 2011 post of a woman with the same problem. Curious as to whether it's just an injury or mareks.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry your hen is having trouble. :(

It could be Marek's though there are few things that present very similarly. Have you checked her over for an in jury?

3. Debbie Churchill

Jan 22, 2018
    I looked at her feet and comb really good but I haven't really dug around. I will tho

4. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Lameness that comes on like that suddenly can be a result of the chicken getting into a neurotoxin. Look around where the chickens have been. Look for puddles of water where you may have previously sprayed for ants or cut worms.

Look for a machine sitting around leaking fluids onto the soil underneath. I've had chickens eat contaminated grit and go lame.

Do you have a compost pile? There can be neurotoxins hiding in rotting, decomposing vegetable matter.

Peeling paint. Soil where paint thinner was disposed of.

Unfortunately, if it's a neurotoxin, there's no cure.

5. Debbie Churchill

Jan 22, 2018
    Thank you. I know that I have spilled diesel and with the snow melting there are puddles. There are also wild turkeys that come in our yard to eat the chicken feed. I will definitely look for those things and try to clean up the diesel spill.

azygous likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: