myscovie quetion

jackrooster

Songster
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Maine
I am thinking i might get 3 myscovie duck......2 females and a male.....should i seperate them from my other ducks?.....i no if they breed with another duck the babys are sterlie

I would seperate them if you are going to want to sell there eggs or off spring. If you are just getting them for pets then you might be able to keep them together, but be careful because those muscovy drakes are HUGE compared to other domestic females. You don't want them hurting the females.

Quote:
On the other hand moscovy ducks(females) are not huge when compared to other domestic ducks. The problem as I see it is that the drakes stay in breeding mode durning Warm weather while the other domestic drakes do not.

Quote:
On the other hand moscovy ducks(females) are not huge when compared to other domestic ducks. The problem as I see it is that the drakes stay in breeding mode durning Warm weather while the other domestic drakes do not.

True they (females) aren't much different in size but I think fore some reason they can handle the drakes better.
idunno.gif

I don't know about the warm weather thing...my swedish is very much still in full swing breeding mode and it is very hot around here now.

Quote:

True they (females) aren't much different in size but I think fore some reason they can handle the drakes better.
idunno.gif
There is a reason for that that I will not post on a public board, it has to do with their "private parts", wish I could remember the reference but if you search hard you will find it.~gd

I don't know about the warm weather thing...my swedish is very much still in full swing breeding mode and it is very hot around here now.

I know two people who have Muscovies and another breed. One has Muscovies and Pekins; the other has Muscovies and Indian Runners. In both cases the ducks do not interbreed. I have one Muscovy drake and two hens (and thirteen ducklings). I had a Cayuga drake and the females were not interested in him and the Muscovy drake told him to buzz off. (I sold him to a person who had a Cayuga hen and I would bet he is very happy now; he is a lovely duck).

I am thinking about getting another breed for eggs and slug control; I am leaning toward Indian Runners but am still not sure. I was just planning on keeping them together; my duck house is 8' x 12' with a 12' x 16' yard and is very secure. I let them out to forage in the day on the days I am here. I thought I would go to the county fairs this summer and look and talk to folks.

Eileen

Before you decide on Muscovies, be aware that it is now illegal to own them for purposes other than meat. As of 3/31/2010.

Check out the Local zChicken Laws and Regulation section for the New ruling on Muscovy Ducks. THey now come under the Federal Migratory Bird regulations. They are not yet enforcing the new law and it is expected to be revised, but we really don't know what the change will be yet.

Just be aware that owning Muscovies will at the least require paperwork, permits, owner identification, etc. in the very near future, this year.

I have five permenant muscovy ducks and 13 mallard derived ducks, as well as 3 geese all together. How old is the drake you are getting? Younger muscovy drakes ( like all drakes ) have a very high hormonal drive. If you do get a Muscovy drake, and are worried about it and your other ducks, Id suggest getting a 3 - 4 y/o. MUCH calmer. As long as you have just ONE muscovy drake you should be ok with the non scovie hens.

I recently got out of a situation wher ei had two scovie drakes, four scovie hens, and 10 non scovie hens. The scovie drakes were the problem. The Older drake took over all the muscovy females and chased my younger drake away from them. Leaving the younger drake with all my 4 - 7 lb non scovie hens. They ( hens ) looked a MESS from his big ole feet/claws. So he now has a new home and everything is peachy
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom