mysterious chicken death (9 month old buff orpington): ideas?

Jan 6, 2019
Binghamton NY
Dear BYC folks:

Went out tonight to do the chores and found one of my Buffs dead on the floor of the coop. I examined her body; no visible signs of injury. Looked down her throat, couldn't see anything. One thing that seemed maybe slightly off was her cloacal area, which I have included a picture of here. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have caused this? I haven't had much time to observe them in the past few days, and so don't know if she was exhibiting any behavioral symptoms. I am mainly curious just because I want to make sure it's not something that might kill the other birds. She's in a backyard coop with decent ventilation with seven other chickens. Lots of snow (and ice) on the ground here. Recently installed an autodoor. Thanks in advance for any help....

1609373802915.jpeg

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Dear BYC folks:

Went out tonight to do the chores and found one of my Buffs dead on the floor of the coop. I examined her body; no visible signs of injury. Looked down her throat, couldn't see anything. One thing that seemed maybe slightly off was her cloacal area, which I have included a picture of here. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have caused this? I haven't had much time to observe them in the past few days, and so don't know if she was exhibiting any behavioral symptoms. I am mainly curious just because I want to make sure it's not something that might kill the other birds. She's in a backyard coop with decent ventilation with seven other chickens. Lots of snow (and ice) on the ground here. Recently installed an autodoor. Thanks in advance for any help....

View attachment 2469223
Sorry for your loss. Poor girl.
Did you examine her internally for a stuck egg?

Top Bottom