Mysterious chicken death last night. Lost my beautiful Buff Brahma.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by almost a farm chic, Feb 7, 2012.

1. almost a farm chic

almost a farm chic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Oregon
    Wondering what on earth could have happened to her last night. It did not freeze so she couldn't have been too cold? It looks like she dropped dead right off the roost last night. So sad to find her this morning. No obvious signs that I can see. I am a new chicken keeper as of last spring. Penelope was one of our spring chicks last spring. Maybe I am too novice to have notice any subtle signs. All the chickens (we have five) have been very healthy (seemingly to me!).
    We are sad to see her pass. I hope I can get to the bottom of this so we don't have any one else go.
    Thoughts on what this could be.
    I don't think she was egg bound. Five chickens, five eggs a day coming in. No sign of parasites. They all LOOk so healthy. Bright combs and waddles.
    I have not begun a worming schedule yet. Planned to this spring. Was it an oversight to wait that long?
    We have been using a heat lamp on them when it gets below freezing at night. I hope doing so isn't a mistake. Could we be messing up their bodies (heat) regulatory abilities?

2. ThomsonCentennialFarm

ThomsonCentennialFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Holliday, Missouri
    No idea what happened, but I recently came out and found one of my seemingly healthy pullets dead under the perch in the morning. I wondered if mine just fell off the perch and perhaps broke her neck? Or was otherwise fatally injured? Sorry about your loss.[​IMG]

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Some chickens.....just die. There may be no explanation. I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    sorry to hear about your chicken......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by