Mysterious death and lonliness

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
15 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
My Coop
We have 5 12-week old Barred Rock girls. We originally got 7, and 2 went to live down the block with my neighbor and his 2 year-old RIRs.

Last night one of his BRs mysteriously died, having had no sign or symptom save a bit of lethargy all day- both girls stayed hunkered down most of the day. It hasn't been hot, and he's been keeping the two pairs separate, so no bullying has occurred.

Now the one BR is all alone, and we've become attached to the 5 we have, so we can't give one up, and he's inclined to have the chick come live here so she's with her pals (they only went to live with him 5 weeks ago) but I'm afraid of what could be brought back to my flock if we don't know the cause of death.

What could kill a perfectly healthy 12-week old with almost no symptom? I'm so worried about the remaining girl, but don't want to risk mine!

Thanks!

With no signs or symptoms sounds like they might of eaten something that was bad? I would take the one he has and bring her home and keep her seperate for awhile before putting in with the other 5. I would advise him to sanitize everything and double check where they were living to get rid of anything they might of eaten, etc. Just a guess here......hope your girls thrive!

A chicken that is lethargic and hunkers down in the corner could have cocci. Just because the owner says no symptoms, doesnt mean there werent any. Cocci doesnt always show blood in the stool but can kill a bird in a day or so. My friend is proof to this. She lost half her flock never guessing cocci because none of the birds had symptoms but yet she lost one a day. Finally the state did a necropsy and cocci was the findings. If your taking this chicken, use caution.

My girls are still getting a bit of the starter feed because I've been paranoid after reading about this- he stopped that right away after they went to live with him. I know he has some so I'll tell him to put her back on it, and what else?

Is there a fast-acting med for this? What a bummer.

I'll take the other when I get home tonight and keep her apart for a few days, but if mine are on the medicated feed aren't they protected from cocci? I know they should still be separate for a while because it could still be something else...

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom