Mysterious death of baby chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TnClayboy, Aug 24, 2014.

1. TnClayboy

TnClayboy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Hey folks I have a ? I have some 5 week old white rock hens. I went out to check on them yesterday evening and one hen was dead laying on back with all feathers plucked . Didn't notice anything odd leading up to this . It was very hot maybe she died of heat stroke then they plucked her .Coop is in totally shaded area but little breeze and temps around 100 I put a fan on them today and added two more waters . As of today everyone seems happy and healthy . Any Thoughts?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's hard to say whether it was the heat, or possibly something like coccidiosis which is common in chicks that age. I would watch for any who get lethargic, standing puffed up, or have diarrhea, in case it is cocci. It is treated with Corid (amprollium.) Put a shallow pan of water in the shade for them to walk through to cool their feet. Sometimes electrolytes in the water on the hottest days helps. Make sure they are on 20% chick starter, in case they were picking feathers due to a lack of protein in the diet. Sorry for your loss.

3. TnClayboy

Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks , that's sorta what I'm thinking also They seem to be milling around and keeping busy , have noticed some diarrhea not red or bloody looking . I will add some electrolytes to there water .

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If there is diarrhea, I would probably start some Corid. Bloody stools are only common in 2 out of the 9 possible strains of cocci. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5 days.

5. TnClayboy

Jul 29, 2014
    Is there any harm in giving the corid to heathy chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by