Mysterious Death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by olijo123, Nov 10, 2013.

1. olijo123

olijo123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    WV
    Hi all! I had a Muscovy duck that suddenly passed away yesterday. She was only 2 years old and was a small duck. I was hoping to get some guesses on her death. Yesterday morning we were feeding everyone when I noticed she was sitting by the coop breathing heavily and flapping her wings. We walked over to her and picked her up, she then stopped flapping her wings and the heavy breathing went on. She started to close her eyes and around ten seconds later she was dead. We were shocked about this because the day before she was fine. My guess is a heart attack?? If anyone has a guess to what this could be let me know! Thank you

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm sorry. That's probably as good a guess as any, though there are certainly other possibilities.

You might want to contact your state vet or ag college for information about having a necropsy done, for future reference. They usually have specific requirements about the condition of the body, and fees are usually small or it may even be free, as in California. Some people also do their own necropsy; even an amateur can see several things. Especially if other members of the flock ever seem ill, this can be valuable information to have handy.

3. olijo123

olijo123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    WV
    Thanks! I will have to look into it!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by