Mysterious duckling death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FluffTheDuck, May 21, 2019.

1. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    the picture is loading...
    We don’t know what killed it. But it died in the corner, with its head straight up.
    My 8 week old Cayuga duckling.
    This morning, about 20 minutes ago.
    In the duck brooder. The duck brooder is inside my duck coop which is sealed pretty well.
    It died with its head straight up, on its back. I went to go see who it was (looks like Daffy the other Cayuga, I’m not sure) and it’s face was all scrunched up. Looks like it lost an eye. Since cayugas are black, I couldn’t see any blood. But I called my dad to come to my house to take care of it (he lives right by me) and he will take a look at it.
    snakes. Quakers (the grown up male) killed a snake yesterday. And I saw another one last night. That’s all I could think of. Could this be a botulism death? All of my ducks are pretty healthy it looks like to me and I cleaned out and put fresh hay in yesterday. Other ducklings? The adult male? It rained yesterday, could it be too cold for the little one?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. MadisonOde

MadisonOde Chirping

Jul 16, 2017
    La Crosse, WI
    I’m so sorry for your loss. I would not be exactly sure what killed it, but I would recommend moving them into a garage or something if you can.

FluffTheDuck likes this.
  3. FluffTheDuck

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    Yeah. I’ll be checking EVERYWHERE. I’ll apply another thing of super small sealed wire because I don’t have anything like a garage

4. FluffTheDuck

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    551E415B-D4DC-4B0F-B12D-E0D087BA15E4.jpeg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: