mysterious foot injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hannahgiselle, Feb 1, 2013.

1. hannahgiselle

hannahgiselle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    Michigan
    Hi all, tonight while doing a routine wellness check on my flock, I noticed my standard Cochin had a strange injury on her foot. Her other foot was fine. I checked the bottom of her foot for signs of bumblefoot and it was clear. I thought maybe this is some kind of fungus but I'm not sure. This is the first injury I've had since I started keeping chickens in June.
    [​IMG]

Above is a photo of her foot. We soaked it in warm water, doused it in peroxide, and gently scrubbed some of the dirty stuff off. We covered the wound with neosporin and she's in the basement with food and water for the night.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Looks like she may have scaley leg mites.

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    She has scaley leg mites & birds with them can develop crusty/crumbly areas on their legs. Treatments for the mites such as leg-soaks will probably also speed healing of those spots.
    Some options people have used for treatment are listed on the Poultry Podiatry page linked in my sig.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with Wisher1000, definitely scaly leg mites. Purchase Nu-Stock and slather it on her legs, do the roosts as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by