Mysterious killer cat in my neighborhood.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Moochie, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Our neighbors who had 8 chickens, lost 2 to a cat. They said they didn't see the whole cat but they say they saw a tail and they could hear it.
    Just a week ago my mom saw this cat 2 times in the area where the chickens sleep. But she said she didn't SEE IT see it, but saw a greyish brown flash. She said it ran outta there as soon as she opened the gate to check on them. We would like to keep our pup Bruno with the chickens, but the doghouse we had for him is apprentely a roost/nest box for our younger pullets and silkies =3=
    He's good with the chickens, and I've seen his reaction to cats. He chases them basically, but in a playful way (we need to change that). Our chickens are free range to our front yard, I have never once seen a cat during the day when they are out and about. There are 4 sides to the area where they sleep and lay (we cant afford a coop and run so we just built some things out of tables and other stuff we could find). One side is a permanently locked gate to the backyard. It's locked because of our dachshunds who favor the chickens as food. Another side is the side of our house. And the other is a wooden fence and a smaller penned up coop and run (that we built) where our younger chickens are and the silkies. That area is covered with chicken wire and wood to keep birds out (they still get in [​IMG] ). And the other side is a wooden fence door. It's taller then me, I'm 5' 5" so its around 6 ft high. We lock it with a key lock too.
    So I'm guessing the evil beast is jumping over the door.
    Any ideas to keep this creature out? We would use Bruno, but it's getting cold out here and the dog house is kinda dirty now. The blankets that were in there were pooped on and my mom refused to put it in the washing machine. So we just threw it away.

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Sounds more like a coon. It's rare (though not unheard of) for a cat to target adult birds. Sometimes you can borrow a live trap from the local humane society so I'd start there.

3. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:We live in the Mojave Desert of Kern County. I have never seen a coon out here. I suppose one could have walked all the down from Tehachapi, avoiding the highway and coyotes and heat etc.
    I know small badgers are seen once in a while, on EAFB... I don't want to use a live trap.
    I was talking about it with my mom and she thinks it may be these people's cat, their cat had a litter and they kept them all. We don't associate with them anymore because they are cheapskates and other reasons, plus they could lie and say they don't have cats.
    I did do something else today... It has to do with canned albacore and rat poison...

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Look, I've had to practice predator control too, and in spite of my screen name that has sometimes required removing feral cats. Poison is a rotten way to kill an animal and all to often kills things other then the targeted predator. Doesn't really sound like you took much time to make sure what was killing your birds before you set the poison out, I hope you did at least make it so that any wandering animal couldn't get into it and didn't just set it out in the open somewhere.

Chances are good that the cat has been hanging around your coop, though it's far more likely that it was hunting the rodents that like to steal the chickens food.

We don't associate with them anymore because they are cheapskates and other reasons, plus they could lie and say they don't have cats.
    I did do something else today... It has to do with canned albacore and rat poison...

Not sure what your neighbors being cheapskates have to do with a possible predator problem, but I'm glad you don't live near me.​

5. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:Not sure what your neighbors being cheapskates have to do with a possible predator problem, but I'm glad you don't live near me.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by