Mysterious Lump

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AWhite, May 29, 2010.

1. AWhite

AWhite New Egg

May 6, 2010
    Hello All,
    after yesterday (1 scalped, 1 almost scalped chick) I thought I'd have a breather in Chicken Trauma/ER services but not so. After having to set up a hospital unit and finishing the outside (no free ranging yet) coop to house the uninjured chicks for 24 hours, I decided to leave the flock of 4 in their outside coop for the day.

Now after checking their water I have noticed that the largest chick has a significant lump on her breast that could be a big bite? I have no idea, her wing is not effected but the bulge is pretty large and feels hardish. She is acting normal, she is eating and drinking. She acts like it is hard to swallow or rather like she wants to puke, but pecked and ate some greens while I took her picture. She is inside in the ER coop for observation.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Alison[​IMG]

2. Chief

Chief Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Looks like her crop is full to me. When they eat the grain first goes to their crop to be ground up before it goes farther into the digestive tract. Check her in a few hours and the "lump" should be gone or at least a lot smaller. Sometimes they can have problems with the crop but most of the time, when these kind of posts are started it is simply that the chick has eaten a lot. I wouldn't worry unless it doesn't go down by morning.

3. AWhite

AWhite New Egg

May 6, 2010
    Update: Now that I have the bird in my lap.. the reflex motion she is exhibiting is almost like ...a reflex on her right side where the lump is.
    It is happening 3-4 times in a min.. Not sure what is going on here???

4. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Is that her Crop? Looks a little low but maybe because she is streching out her neck! Remove her food tonight and see if it is gone tomorrow morning!

5. AWhite

AWhite New Egg

May 6, 2010
    Ok, great! thank you for the input.
    Ali

6. AWhite

AWhite New Egg

May 6, 2010
    Update: yes it must be the crop, as the other chick who was outside for 24 hours in the newly ( hayed!!) pen also has an enlarged crop, but not as big as the first.
    Remedy: fed the first chick a little light oil, not a lot, massaged area , may be hay and feed, and removed food for 12 hours.
    moved all other chicks back inside until I can remove the hay- good thing it only cost me $2.
    thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
    ~A

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by