Mysterious Missing chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenpredatorkiller, Aug 1, 2011.

1. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    I have (had) 6 chickens, 3 Golden Comet and 3 Production reds and they are (were) almost 4 months old. I live in the woods, and this is my first time raising chickens. I build a small 6 x 4 coop and a small run that is connected to it, and it is fenced in with about 4 square inch holes, and I put a fine mesh netting over it and over the top of it and the coop. One morning I woke up and a chicken was missing. There were already a lot of feathers on the interior of the fence probably from them trying to get at a small black snake I killed (it's mouth was really small but it might of been able to eat one of them) or maybe the feathers were from a predator trying to get at them, but failing. Either way, one day I found one missing. There was no blood, no skin or meat or carcass, and pretty much no sign of a killing exept the feathers, which may or may not have been from that chicken. I have 2 cats and 2 dogs, but the dogs are fenced in and there aren't any feathers or anything in the dog fence and there is no evidence that the cats ate it either. Later I lost 2 more chickens. Somehow, the chickens are able to get out of the run, and they do when they run out of food, and so I think what might of happened is that they get out, and a predator takes it away without killing it.... Any ideas? (sorry for such a long post I just wanted to give as much info as possible)

Edit: MAN! was searching for missing chickens when I found a dead one in a dried up creek behind my house...[​IMG]:mad::mad::he:he:hit:hit:hit it's head was ripped off (and nowhere to be seen) and its side was ripped up a little but it was mostly intact. it makes me wanna cry. Any ideas as to what animal it was?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Could be one of many things....by fine mesh, do you mean chicken wire or hardware cloth? Hardware cloth is best. Chicken wire keeps chickens in - it does not keep predators out. Does the run have a top on it? If not, it could be a hawk...hard to say. Sounds like prevention would be the best remedy - fix the weak areas where the chickens are getting out. Don't let them run out of food and look for a way to get out. Once you have enough posts, you could post a picture of your set up and it would help to assess what might be happening. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    ok, thx! ya it does have a top, but it isn't made out of hardware cloth or chickenwire. The mesh is a birdwire type material. its like netting in a cast net or the inside of a bathing suit, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by