1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mysterious missing egg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck_feeder, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Yesterday there were two eggs in Victor's and Ming Mei's pen; this morning there was only one egg. Seeing as how they live indoors, I'm pretty sure I can rule out some predator stealing the egg (unless I started stealing eggs in my sleep...) I know ducks will eat a broken egg (they've done it before), but as far as I know the eggs were intact. So unless the ducks broke the egg and ate it, I have no clue as to what happened to the egg!! Any ideas?

2. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Gnomes.

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    This is probably a dumb question, but have you dug deep down in the bedding? I've had some get woven down deep in the straw in my ducks' nests. Otherwise I'm with the thought it could have been lunch (though you would have thought there would have been some tell-tale shells left behind).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  4. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Yup...definitely gnomes.... [​IMG]

5. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    I dug around in every spot that's remotely deep enough to bury an egg (indoor pen so the floors are tile covered with wood pellets/saw dust) and came up with nothing.

The gnome theory has one major flaw: Victor would eat the gnome. [​IMG]

I'm convinced Nettie is stealing eggs in her sleep... [​IMG]

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    it's so weird that egg went missing... between that and that missing envelope we couldn't find, i'm convinced victor ate both of them... lol

7. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Did you check nettie's dresser? or under her side of the bed? Maybe she is secretly wanting to be a duck mom, or plotting for the zombie invasion?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by