Mysterious Overnight Killer of Chickens Syndrome

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
I lost a young hen to the mysterious overnight chicken syndrome last night. My EE, Prissy, not even a year old yet. She was fine, perfectly fine, on the roost the last time I saw her alive. This morning, she was on the coop floor dead. What is this mysterious killer, with no symptoms that happens during the night to chickens from time to time?

78433_dsc00204.jpg

So sorry....I cry everytime one of my girls die. So hard. Sometimes we never know what killed them. Chickens can be sick, but not show any signs until it's too late. They are susceptable to cancers etc. just like people. Sometimes, they just keel over and die. I'm sure you did everything you could. Just remember that you gave your best and so did she, so you have to just let it go. I would watch the others for any sign of illness but it was probably just something wrong with her......Good Luck!

I am so sorry about you Prissy. She was a gorgeous girl! I can't help you identify what had caused her to die but just wanted to say I am sorry for your loss. I also recently lost my Miss Prissy but not the same way as yours.
I hope it is not something the other chickens can catch.

My guess would be either the heat(not sure how hot it is right now where you live) or a heart attack.
I have had that happen 4 of my girls to the heat this year despite trying to do all I can to prevent it.
So sorry about your girl.

Back
Top Bottom