Mysterious Roo just shows up! What to do.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tripp16, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi everyone,

Well I got out to feed this morning and to my surprise I have a visitor outside my Standard laying hens house and run. The girls are all outside in the run clucking and doing something similar to the egg song, I look outside and their is a big rooster sitting out on the fence post. He hops down and starts showing the girls treats outside the run. I shew him off but a few minutes later he is back.

What should I do? None of my neighbors have roosters and I have no idea where he came from unless he came from a farm about a mile back in the woods. I dont want to put him in with my girls because my egg customers dont like the thought of "fertile" eggs they feel like their eating a chick.... [​IMG] I cant put him with my silkies or bantams they are all to small. Plus I dont want neighbors complaining about the crowing...

BTW he is still out there teasing the girls with treats and strutting up and down the sides of the run... Sigh

2. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I had a rogue rooster show up for about a week. He would let himself in my coop in the morning then fly out to roost in my tree at night. My real rooster just let him. No fighting. Weird. Anyway... One day he was gone. Went back home I guess. If he doesn't leave place an add on Craig's list to get rid of him. My guess is he'll get bored and go home if he can't get to your girls.

3. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well he has already given my RIR hen a bloody comb they got in a fight through the fence. He has my BO smitten! She is out there just clucking at him and he is clucking right back. I cant get anywhere near him he makes a run for the woods when he sees me. Im going to see if he roosts tonight near the girls, if he does I`ll catch him and put him a dog crate then see if he is that farms if not. Craigslist it is. I wish I could keep him because hes pretty and he would make pretty babies but I just cant have him.... not to mention my bantam hen is sitting on eggs and some of those could be roos and I know one of my silkies is a roo....

4. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks for your input BTW. :)

5. should post a pic [​IMG]

We've never had a chicken just show up but we had some japanese bantams that were 'wild'. They were still young but hard to catch, grab a friend and a couple nets, it'll be easy if you can run fast enough

6. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I wish I had gotten a good picture. I went back to see if he was there and he wasnt. Maybe the girls told him he was welcome here after he hurt poor little reds face....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by