Mysterious wounds

Klsullivan99

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2018
suburbs of Philadelphia
hi- I have 6 chickens (born in August/September). This weekend 2 out of 6 had wounds (bloody) under the one side of their wings. I am thinking the others are bullying them? We have separated them during the day, treated with saline and veteraycin spray. Picture of one attached. Thoughts? My assumption is after the wound heals they can hang out during the day again together?

Attachments

• 6FE2C332-9CF5-4B6A-B156-99CAA8F29773.jpeg
    6FE2C332-9CF5-4B6A-B156-99CAA8F29773.jpeg
    567.6 KB · Views: 8
Do you have roosters? Wounds under wings can be from sharp spurs. If you don’t have a rooster, then I would wonder about a predator. Can you get more pictures of both wounds? Vetericyn and plain Neosporin are good to use to treat wounds.

Do you have roosters? Wounds under wings can be from sharp spurs. If you don’t have a rooster, then I would wonder about a predator. Can you get more pictures of both wounds? Vetericyn and plain Neosporin are good to use to treat wounds.
Hi. I don’t have roosters, just 6 egg layers. They are in a double fenced secured coop/run so it is super odd. I can try to get better pictures tomorrow. The one that we noticed Friday is also loosing feathers back there, but seems to early to molt.

It may take spending some time with them to see if one is pecking the others. Look for any small openings where something could get into the coop. Also look for any nails or sharp areas where one could be injured.

Looks like the spur wounds some of my hens get occasionally from my roo (usually his spurs are duct-taped to prevent this). Since you don't have a roo, you should check for anything that the hen could have hurt herself on--sharp metal or even plastic. It could have been a predator attack that wasn't successful. Hopefully you can figure out the cause!

Back
Top Bottom