Mysteriously cracked eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Q9, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Q9

Q9 General Headache

This morning I found two eggs, BOTH of which had gigantic cracks in them. Why is this happening? Did the chickens peck them and then leave them alone, or are the 15-degree temperatures at night somehow doing it? Yes, it does get that cold in the South. [​IMG] The latter seems probable, but how the temps could crack eggs I have no idea.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Back when we lived in a state which actually had winter, we found a lot of cracked eggs. We decided that it was happening because water expands when it freezes, as I recall.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    If they get frozen they will split open, is that it? Were they out overnight?

And yep, it was 18F this morning. Matter of fact, I am going out for firewood right now, and I am well south of you. Ick on this arctic front.

4. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:That's what I'm asking. [​IMG] Yes, they were out overnight.

Good night, how far south of me? It's funny, but I just can't picture anywhere south of NC/northern SC as being "cold."

5. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I am further south of you--in GA and we are having colder weather. Two inches of snow and down to 12F. Of course I am in the mountains. Get your eggs in before dark.

6. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i live in south georgia almost on the florida border and it was 19 degrees last night. a lot of times i find that my girls will scratch out a hole in the hay in the nesting box then they will lay an egg on the bare wood. then once it hits the wood it cracks. i have found a couple like this lately. especially from my cornish hen who is just determined to dig out all the hay then crack her own egg!

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC

Good night, how far south of me? It's funny, but I just can't picture anywhere south of NC/northern SC as being "cold."

30 miles or so south of Charleston, 15 miles inland. I've had to dump ice for several days now, twice a day. If it's going to be this cold, I want snow! [​IMG]

8. Q9

Q9 General Headache

30 miles or so south of Charleston, 15 miles inland. I've had to dump ice for several days now, twice a day. If it's going to be this cold, I want snow! [​IMG]

Okay, off topic, but you are LUCKY to live that close to Charleston! I love that place - it's the definition of "Southern city." [​IMG]

9. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:Okay, thanks. I'm going to head out there right now and try to get some. Unfortunately, some of our birds absolutely insist on laying after dark. [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They've been frozen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by