mysteriously injured rooster

quaasi

Songster
Mar 12, 2018
Warrensburg, NY
last night our rooster was found stuck on his back with a low hanging (but still mobile, he’ll pull it back while we’re inspecting the joints there) wing and a limp in one leg, he was also gasping for air and croaking a bit, but seemed to improve after we brought him in the house for a while
he was found after we heard and investigated a loud bang from the pen/coop area and the subsequent panicked screams of the hens
no one appears to be missing and there are no fallen branches, nothing is askew inside the coop or the pen, and we can’t pinpoint anything that would have made the noise, so we think that he could have gotten hurt while fighting something off but also we didn’t find any punctures or missing feathers or open wounds of any kind, so we’re just.... confused
has anyone else experienced something similar? mostly looking for suggestions to try and understand what could have happened, if he doesn’t make it then it may help to at least try and make sense of it

My cockerel went missing for the day once.....we eventually found him ALIVE stuck on his back between two sheds.
He had been attacked by his two sons.
No idea how he got in that position though.

Could it be an illness? I've also had a hen flip over onto her back, due to some kind of mental problem, maybe.

My cockerel went missing for the day once.....we eventually found him ALIVE stuck on his back between two sheds.
He had been attacked by his two sons.
No idea how he got in that position though.

Could it be an illness? I've also had a hen flip over onto her back, due to some kind of mental problem, maybe.

illness is a possibility, it just seems strange that there was such a huge commotion and then we found him like that : ( we only have the one other rooster and he had been in the coop so i don’t think they fought
i’m just trying to wrap my head around what could have made that noise - it was loud enough to wake us up and seems like it has to have been related, or it’s just a crazy coincidence

update! he’s doing much better this morning and immediately stopped hobbling around when we put a sling on him
he’s been enthusiastically eating and drinking (and crowing) so he’s going to stay in here with us for a while so we can keep an eye on him

Attachments

• E46AFA83-B06F-485E-833A-06819C92D15C.jpeg
    E46AFA83-B06F-485E-833A-06819C92D15C.jpeg
    692.9 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom