1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mysteriously Swollen feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rijolt, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Rijolt

Rijolt New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    Okay, so for awhile, my Brahma has a slight limp in his walk. I checked his feet, and saw absolutely nothing wrong. I wrote it off as nothing, since it really didn't effect him.

Now he's just as active and healthy, but now his feet are swollen. I assumed it was bumble foot, but there is no sore or anything. I am figuring that it either healed over by now, or it was in one of his feet feathers.

I have soaked his feet a few times in a Epson Salt bath, and bandaged his feet. His name is Boots, and he is a valued pet, so I was wondering if any of you have any clues to what I should do?

He is currently unbandaged as I need to get more, but again, he is walking fine. Only a slight limp, as he favors the more swollen foot.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h121/Rijolt/bootsa_zps3c1bf6f7.jpg
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h121/Rijolt/boots_zps1b4d73c4.jpg
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h121/Rijolt/bootsb_zps9bf3b4c1.jpg

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It could be Marek's.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    could he had gotten
    frostbite by any chance?

5. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'd try a general purpose antibiotics on her .in injection. it cant hurt. use erythromycine or oxycyciline. use/ 1/4CC small bird, or large bird is 1/2cc once daily for 5days. it's worth a try. if she we're mine I'd try this ASAP. it's difficult to tell without any symptoms what to do but id try this. good luck. hope this helps!

6. Rijolt

Rijolt New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    It's not frostbite, they are up above the ground, out of their feces, and they have a heat lamp. And He is surrounded by 15 other girls.

I'm not sure if it's Mareks, no other chickens have caught it, and the swollen feet is his only symptom. Plus, this has been going on for a little while. Actually, they've had their shots.

Not Bumblefoot that possibly healed over?

Edit: After looking in my chicken health handbook, and speaking to a family friend who is an RM and also owns chickens, she suspects Gout.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  7. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    could it be scale leg mites? just a thought?

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's not scaly leg mites. See the link in post #3.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This one had Marek's
    [​IMG]

10. Rijolt

Rijolt New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    Even if it doesn't go up his legs?

Edit: And wait... Again, he got his shots as a chick...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by