Mystery Animal Feces

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by givengrove, Jul 21, 2017.

1. givengrove

givengrove Chirping

Mar 15, 2017
    Missouri
    It's been a while and I tried some research and I still couldn't figure it out!
    This morning I found some strange looking mush, it was right next to some fox scat... and then next to THAT WAS canine/feline scat (we have outdoor cats and dogs so I assume that was them).
    It flabbergasts me that I've found THREE different kinds of scat in a row this morning.
    As I said the first was fox, the last was pet, and this middle one... I'm not sure... could someone help me out?
    Found these adjacent to the coop.
    **Helpful Tip: We've been dealing with some sort of predator making holes in our fencing and ripping wire.
    IMG_5192.jpg

Wickedchicken6 likes this.
  2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Could be coon...

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Perhaps a coon or fox that has been eating unripe mulberries.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Being the scat was found in Missouri, and my fondness for hanging around areas with chickens, I must admit it could be mine after eating too many mulberries and not finding the outhouse close enough.

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Well, dang, Centra... the least you could do is patch your peep holes in their wire once you're finished, lol...

6. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The Wicked

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I couldn't help but click on this thread...lol. If someone had told me 20 years ago this is what I'd be "into" when I got older...well, I wouldn't of believed them! :lau

Is it the florescent feces we're looking at? I don't recognize it. Must be @centrarchid's
    :confused:
    I agree with you @Ravynscroft ...it's rude to leave the wire in such a state. ;)

7. givengrove

givengrove Chirping

Mar 15, 2017
    Missouri
    A fox eating unripe berries.. sounds about right... also lmao!! how rude of you! now I have to patch up the fence again, tsk tsk

Ravynscroft likes this.
  8. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Need to explore cost of determining species ID based in DNA. You could even get it down to individual and what was consumed. Put sample in mail and ship it off like you do mouth skin samples.

9. Do you have black bear out there? Looks similar to black bear scat too.

10. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Free Ranging

Jan 5, 2012
    That's sounds cost effective.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: