mystery attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by larsalan, Apr 22, 2012.

1. larsalan

larsalan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    United States
    Or maybe fratricide? I had a hen setting on a clutch of at least a dozen eggs. This morning I see her wandering the run with the rest of the flock and a bunch of feathers strewn about. Maybe they're hers or maybe some other bird's. And her clutch is smashed. Moreover the dozen or more eggs that should have been there really look only like 5 or 6.

I wonder if cold weather would lead her to get off her nest? Where did all those eggies go?

2. larsalan

Apr 22, 2011
    United States
    myb an opossum sneaked in there. I have seen them there before but I had thought to have blocked them with a rock.
    cant set any traps cause of all the cats that are around. I hope we can get some babies and some food eggs here.

3. hennyandpenny

hennyandpenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    skunk could have done it too also snakes. she could be distressed about it so that could count for the feathers missing

4. larsalan

Apr 22, 2011
    United States
    Snake could get in there and could maybe swallow eggs whole too. Didn't smell any skunks and they should have a hard time getting in just as the opossum should. Chain link fence is too small of holes for them to get through.
    I don't see snakes often and when I do they are just like a pencil size. But some big boys are no doubt lurking out in the woods here.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    A snake wouldn't break any eggs.
    If there were other chickens there, they could have tried laying in the same nest, and broken one or more eggs, which will sometimes start a "feeding frenzy".

It's best to keep broody hens seperate from everything

6. larsalan

Apr 22, 2011
    United States
    Alright then. I am new to this so I'll have to work out a strategy. It is pretty hard to get up a set of eggs when we keep eating them here.
    Then I need to find a way to protect her better once she decides to sit on another dozen or so.
    Maybe the neighbor can supply eggs while I work this out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by