Mystery bantam chick- breed ID?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Woofless, May 12, 2010.

1. Woofless

Woofless Chirping

Apr 7, 2010
    SD
    This little one was one of my last "impulse" chick purchases at TSC in mid April. They had a bin of bantams, all of them similar to this guy, except for one darker colored oddball who had feathers on his feet! I had to buy the oddball....and since I had a 70 mile drive home, I also bought THIS little guy to keep him company on the trip.

The rest of my chicks are between 5-6 weeks of age (purchased end of March, first week of April). This little guy was a recent shipment when I bought him, he came home mid April, so he can't be much more than 3-4 weeks. Yet, he's feathered faster than any of the other chicks did....and he was the FIRST one to develop a reddish color to his comb!!

I'm *assuming* the early-developed comb indicates he's a rooster, but does anybody know what breed he might be?? He has yellow feet without feathers. When he's walking around normally his wings are a bit longer than his body...he carries them angled downward towards his vent. It's almost similar to photos of Sebrights I've seen, but not quite as dramatic. Still, he has a stance/wing carriage that is a bit different from the feather-footed broody & all of my older standard chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I am going out on a limb...but he looks alot like my Japanese Black Tail Bantams when they were that age. The body structure looks right for it but the color is iffy.

Someone else may pop by with more info [​IMG]

3. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I have 22 sebright chicks near the same age and none look quite like that. I'm not saying it's not a Sebright but I'm not saying it is. Maybe a mottled or splash breed?

4. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    Looks splash or columbian--something. Not sure yet.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  5. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Songster

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    My silver duckwing or silver laced OE roo + my black-tail white japanese = one that looked exactly like this! My guess is it is something with japanese, a sebright can also create this color with a black tailed white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: