Mystery Bantam

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AthamGI, Jul 27, 2010.

1. AthamGI

AthamGI In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    I bought a couple of bantis and silkie mixes from a farm. Unfortunately, all but three were killed off in a fox attack. In any case, I've found that my two mixes are Silkie/Polish, but this guy I'm not sure on. I was told by the owner that he was a pure breed, but I cannot remember the name. Take a look. He's a really funny cockerel. I'm thinking of naming him Clarence Carter, after the sex-obsessed singer, because he has a huge libido problem. [​IMG].

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010

2. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Songster

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Maybe, a Polish mix?

3. AthamGI

AthamGI In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    The Silkie mixes are from white silkies and white polish. They're also much larger than he is. The woman who bred them had two roosters and a hen of this particular breed, so I'm pretty certain that he's a pure bred.

4. peepswiththepoof

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Mmm...Sebright?

5. AthamGI

AthamGI In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Single comb, no rose comb. Haha, keep the guesses coming! I have no clue!

6. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    old english game bantam i'm thinking! but i don't own any to be sure on that. good luck!

7. peepswiththepoof

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Chickie'sMoma :

old english game bantam i'm thinking! but i don't own any to be sure on that. good luck!

I like this guess!​

8. AthamGI

AthamGI In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
  9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    He looks to me like an old english game bantam! They come in a number of colors and his body shape looks right to me, and I have several of them. [​IMG]

(Also, the reason he may not look exactly like photos of the breed is because he looks young to me/like he still needs some time to fill out, and he's perhaps not a show-type one but perhaps a hatchery bird or descended from hatchery birds. Just a guess, though!)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  10. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    Quote:btw, most OEGB have dubbed combs since that is the way they have to be shown. he hasn't been dubbed before and it is not needed if you are keeping him as a pet. go to www.Feathersite.com and check some of the non-dubbed birds to be sure if it might be that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by