Mystery Bantams @ 1.5 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TattooedChicks, Apr 9, 2017.

1. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    I've been able to identify 10 of 12 chicks my spouse scooped up from the banty bin at the local feed store. I know I have OEGBs, blue cochins, and golden sebrights, but I'm puzzled by these two odd-balls. Any guesses or insight greatly appreciated.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This one is on the small side after being ill for a few days. But when the camera is off it has a very upright tail carriage, nearly vertical. Maybe some sort of Japanese breed?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    This one is the same size and shape as my cochins, fluffy feet and all, but brown, with bars on much firmer wing feathers (the blue's are so soft and stumpy in comparison) ??

2. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    The first one is a White tailed Black Japanese. What type of comb does the second one have?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  3. TattooedChicks

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City

Single, pale yellow, and very finely serrated. Wouldn't hold still for a face picture.

4. Minnowey

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    Cochin then. Partridge maybe?

1 person likes this.
  5. TattooedChicks

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    It does look similar to the chicks pictured on Cackle. I hope you are right, its a very striking looking bird at maturity. :) Thank you!!

6. Minnowey

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    No problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by