Mystery Bantams-I'd love some suggestions! **Pics**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sparrow, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I posted about my new Bantys before, but now I have pics to help you guys identify them for me! The pics aren't great because they're fairly hyperactive, but I think they will help.

The Black-Grey duo:

[​IMG]

The Gold or Buff one:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. Sparrow

Apr 11, 2008
    Just wanted to add, all of these guys have a single straight comb, and no feathers on the legs. The gold one is calmer than the blackish ones.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Do you know if the chicks came from a hatchery, and if so - which one? [​IMG] They could be bantam rocks, two barred and one buff.

4. Sparrow

Apr 11, 2008
    I do know they came from a hatchery, but the guys at TSC couldn't remember which one they came from. *-* I'm going to call them today and talk to the person who supposedly handles the chick orders to find out for sure. Thanks for the suggestion! I will have to see what the Rock bantys look like as adults online, I have a regular size White Rock roo that is 4 1/2 weeks old now and I love him, he is so sweet! [​IMG]

**Actually I just calle them to ask about the hatchery, and either the guy didn't have a clue how to find out where they came from...or he was very reluctant to tell me which one it was. He wouldn't even check, so that diagnostic option is out. [​IMG] **

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  5. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Make sure they're bantams!
    I had never had bantams before, so when I picked some out from the bin marked assorted bantams at TSC, I had no clue there wasn't a single bantam in that bin. About a week later I noticed they seemed too big, so I contacted the hatchery that supplied TSC and they informed me that most TSCs, including the one I had purchased my chicks from, received the standard assortment, not the bantam assortment.
    I explained the mistake to TSC, and though you can't return chicks, they happily gave me a full refund.
    They sure are cute, by the way!

6. Sparrow

Apr 11, 2008
    Oh, I had no idea they got their orders switched!! I purchased mine from a TSC in Olathe, Kansas. I wonder if mine could turn out full sized?

They seem pretty tiny, though, for being over a week old, close to a week and a half. The black ones look the size that they do in real life in their photo, the pic of the gold one is a bit distorted and he looks kinda big, but he is really the same size as the black ones. He is just a little chubbier. Do they look the right size for being 1 1/2 week old Bantys to you guys?

Thanks for the compliment on them, though! I think they're adorable, they behave so much more gently than my large breed chicks. I got used to the rambunctious big guys, now I have to switch gears between the two sets. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by