1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery bantams!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by quackydoodle, Aug 22, 2014.

1. quackydoodle

quackydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    Rigby, ID
    I got these cuties for free. They're from the same hatch, and 22-24 wks old (I've been told). I don't know what breed they are or if I have 2 hens or 1 roo and 1 hen. I suspect that's the case- I'm fine with it. Bantam Roos are adorable and fairly harmless, right? Although I have 8 standard hens and these 2 bantams. Will he only try to mate the bantam and wear her out, or will he attempt to get busy with hens 4 times his size (ha ha!)? Let me know what you think.

Hen?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cockerel?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like Belgian Bearded D'Anvers mixes (mixed with some feather legged bird). To me, it looks like you have one cockerel and one pullet, but I'm not sure.

To answer your other question, many bantam roosters will try to breed large fowl hens. However, he will probably prefer his own little pullet.

3. quackydoodle

Apr 29, 2014
    Rigby, ID
    The guy I got them from said they were d'uccles. I can't find any pics of d'uccles that look like these guys, though.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Most likely a d'Uccle and a d'Anvers cross.
    They got the Rose comb from the d'Anvers and are feather footed like the d'Uccle.

There are a few of these Belgian bantams and there much the same with little differences.
    Barbu d'Anvers, Barbu d'Everberg, Barbu de Grubbe, Barbu d'Uccle, Barbu de Watermael

Only the d'Anver and the d'Uccle are common in the U.S.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  5. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I agree but their both looking like cockerels IMO!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They are Belgian Bearded D' Anvers mixes. And they are both looking like cockerels to me.

7. quackydoodle

Apr 29, 2014
    Rigby, ID
    They are both roosters. One is 20 oz and one is 23 oz. So teeny. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by