Mystery banty help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 4cheepers, May 12, 2011.

1. 4cheepers

4cheepers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    SEPA
    [​IMG]

For size reference, this little cutie is about 5w old and not much bigger than a newborn standard chick (my bantam silkies are significantly larger.)

Feathered legs. I thought cochin when we got him/her, but s/he's not feathering out similar to the cochins I have before, namely on the head?

Any thoughts? on breed OR sex? [​IMG]

A couple more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Could it be a Cochin Cross maybe with a Game Chicken?? Cute Chick though [​IMG]

3. 4cheepers

Feb 25, 2011
    SEPA
    It shouldn't be a cross... my feed store orders from Ideal and the little guy was picked out of the "bantam assortment" bin? Who knows! After scrounging around I'm thinking Dark Brahma... [​IMG]

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Quote:You're right, it shouldn't be a cross but I ordered some chicks from Ideal this winter and had Old English Game bantams that had crests. They were definitely crosses.

What kind of comb does your chick have?

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I think you might be right with your dark brahma guess.

6. captainmom

captainmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Centralia IL
    Quote:You're right, it shouldn't be a cross but I ordered some chicks from Ideal this winter and had Old English Game bantams that had crests. They were definitely crosses.

Just a thought on hatcheries....I have found over the years that as these places start up a breed new to them that they add them in their assortments. I ordered a hatchery special from one hatchery and received some odd colored chicks that grew up to be blue mottled old english. When I called the hatchery, they told me that they were developing their flock, hatching what they had, and selling them in their assortments since they were not getting enough eggs consistently to sell them as a specific breed. Old English looking chicks with crests could be Pyncheons, which Ideal does not list as a breed of bantam they carry but may be starting up in their breeding program. Again, just a thought.

As to the chick, dark brahma, partridge cochin, either one sounds good from the pic. Of course, I am by far no expert on these things! Time will tell I suppose. Nice chick!!!

7. 4cheepers

Feb 25, 2011
    SEPA

Could be [​IMG] I just grabbed the funny looking ones, so who knows? We've had fun playing the guessing game, either way, and this chick is by far the sweetest of the bunch!

The comb area is completely flat and, well, comb-less now? Not sure what that means!

8. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    whatever she is, she is very pretty![​IMG]

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK

Just a thought on hatcheries....I have found over the years that as these places start up a breed new to them that they add them in their assortments. I ordered a hatchery special from one hatchery and received some odd colored chicks that grew up to be blue mottled old english. When I called the hatchery, they told me that they were developing their flock, hatching what they had, and selling them in their assortments since they were not getting enough eggs consistently to sell them as a specific breed. Old English looking chicks with crests could be Pyncheons, which Ideal does not list as a breed of bantam they carry but may be starting up in their breeding program. Again, just a thought.

As to the chick, dark brahma, partridge cochin, either one sounds good from the pic. Of course, I am by far no expert on these things! Time will tell I suppose. Nice chick!!!

That's a nice theory except for the fact that I didn't order an assortment, I ordered Old English Game bantams. I would guess the chick probably has a pea comb since you said it is pretty much combless. If that is the case, it's probably a dark Brahma. If it develops a single comb (straight serrated line), then it is probably a partridge Cochin.

10. 4cheepers

Feb 25, 2011
    SEPA
    Just as an update to this thread, dark Brahma was the right guess. She's now a pretty 12w old girl [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by