Mystery black chick?

Sep 26, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
52D82090-005A-4FC9-96FA-764857C92D8E.jpeg
I posted a thread asking what breed this is before and everyone said that I needed better pictures, so I’m hoping this helps. We got this little one at tractor supply a couple weeks ago. All black, gray legs, a little gray fluff on his neck. Anyone know?
81AFD296-49CC-41AC-893F-FA8CADB925E7.jpeg
DF10995C-2FDE-4A59-98CE-F247F97CB6DE.jpeg
52D82090-005A-4FC9-96FA-764857C92D8E.jpeg

I just spent some time poking through hatchery websites.... Your bird doesn't quite fit any photo/description I can find.

--Black Jersey Giant: should have single comb, yours looks like rose comb.
--Black Australorp: should have single comb, yours looks like rose comb.
--Black Wyandotte: should have yellow legs/feet, yours has dark ones. (But a dark-legged bird could come from yellow-legged parents, so this is a possibility. Comb type is right.)
--Black Hamburg: should be a small breed, with white earlobes. I can't be sure about size on yours, but I don't think I see white earlobes.
--Black Rosecomb Bantam: should be very small, with white earlobes. As above, not sure about size and earlobes.
--Easter Egger/Ameraucana: could certainly be that color, but has a pea comb, while yours appears to have a rose comb. Would also probably have a puffy face (muff/beard), which yours lacks.

Do you know which hatchery Tractor Supply Company got their chicks from? If so, you could look through their list of breeds--maybe I'm missing something obvious.

My best guess would be Black Rosecomb or Black Hamburg, possibly with "wrong" earlobe color (if a hatchery sells Blue Hamburgs, some will really be Black, because of how the genetics work.)

D8606802-8F97-4F0C-8065-1A8ADF59B4A8.jpeg
Wow thank you soooo much!!! Everyone on this site is so nice and helpful <3. I took another pic... he is small- hasn’t grown much in the past couple of weeks, and I’m not sure if this counts as white earlobes?
I just spent some time poking through hatchery websites.... Your bird doesn't quite fit any photo/description I can find.

--Black Jersey Giant: should have single comb, yours looks like rose comb.
--Black Australorp: should have single comb, yours looks like rose comb.
--Black Wyandotte: should have yellow legs/feet, yours has dark ones. (But a dark-legged bird could come from yellow-legged parents, so this is a possibility. Comb type is right.)
--Black Hamburg: should be a small breed, with white earlobes. I can't be sure about size on yours, but I don't think I see white earlobes.
--Black Rosecomb Bantam: should be very small, with white earlobes. As above, not sure about size and earlobes.
--Easter Egger/Ameraucana: could certainly be that color, but has a pea comb, while yours appears to have a rose comb. Would also probably have a puffy face (muff/beard), which yours lacks.

Do you know which hatchery Tractor Supply Company got their chicks from? If so, you could look through their list of breeds--maybe I'm missing something obvious.

My best guess would be Black Rosecomb or Black Hamburg, possibly with "wrong" earlobe color (if a hatchery sells Blue Hamburgs, some will really be Black, because of how the genetics work.)

I don't know if you'll ever be sure of the breed, but you can still take proper care of him. Care for chickens is the same for almost every breed:
He'll need water and chicken feed (chick starter is fine for his whole life, or he may share the ducks' feed). He'll need a place to get out of wind/rain/snow and to sleep--maybe a roost in the ducks' house, if he continues to be happy with them. He'll need to be safe from predators--inside your house or the ducks' house will probably be fine. Since "he" appears to be a rooster, he will not need a nestbox, "layer" feed, or oyster shell.

(Chicken breeds that need special care: silkies have a strange kind of feathers, Cornish Cross get too fat and die, crested breeds often can't see because of the feathers falling over their eyes. Your chick is not any of those.)

Have fun with him!

Back
Top Bottom