Mystery black chicks - Black Sex link or Australorp or Jersey Giants? Please help!

blooomingtonbirdbrain

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
First time raising chicks and having a blast so far!

So we bought our chicks from a small Tractor Supply (who I think sourced their chicks from Hoover this year). They had 3 bins with a few breeds in each bin. The kind gentlemen who helped us admitted he wasn't a "chicken guy" and we are stumped as to what breeds to of our chicks might be. The two black chicks in question (named "Rainbow" and "Unicorn" by our adoring daughter), were from the "Gold Lace Wyandotte" bin. We quickly caught on that they were not in fact Wyandotte's because they showed zero brown feathering, and their combs came in as single.

Some clues:
1. I know there were also Black Sex Links for sale on that same day (and neither chick had the white dot on their heads).
2. "Rainbow" is feathering quite blue/gray - definitely not as black as we thought it would become (maybe that is still to come?)
3. They are both growing quite fast. For reference in the pictures, the ISA browns we bought on the same day and today, at almost exactly 5 weeks old, they tower over the ISA Browns.
4. Tried to check the color on the bottom of their feet, they are both yellow (not super bright yellow, but definitely more yellow than white/pink)
5. "Rainbow's" comb seems to be turning a brighter red (maybe he is Rain-beau?)

I am assuming they are both the same breed since they were the only black breed in the bin they were picked up from, and they seem to be the same general shape and size, but that might not mean anything. So my initial guesses were either Australorp, Black Sex-Link, Jersey Giant, Asian Black, Black Andalusion.

Unicorn (darker in background) and Rainbow (gray in foreground) at 1 week:
Rainbow_Unicorn_1week_a.jpeg

Around 3 weeks:
Rainbow_3_Weeks.jpeg

Rainbow at 5 weeks:
Ranbow_5weeks_c.jpeg

Unicorn at 5 weeks:

Unicorn_5weeks_b.jpeg

Unicorn_5Weeks_a.jpg

Any ideas??
Thanks for your help!

No. At least not that I've ever seen. It might change a bit after molting, but not a complete color change. But I'm no expert.

Pretty chickens!

Usually no. If they were crossbreeds then it might. I.e I had a chick hatch yellow, feather white and then those white feathers were replaced by a bright orange. True story

Maybe they are sapphire gems or blue andalusions (I might be wrong though, never had any andalusions)

First time raising chicks and having a blast so far!

So we bought our chicks from a small Tractor Supply (who I think sourced their chicks from Hoover this year). They had 3 bins with a few breeds in each bin. The kind gentlemen who helped us admitted he wasn't a "chicken guy" and we are stumped as to what breeds to of our chicks might be. The two black chicks in question (named "Rainbow" and "Unicorn" by our adoring daughter), were from the "Gold Lace Wyandotte" bin. We quickly caught on that they were not in fact Wyandotte's because they showed zero brown feathering, and their combs came in as single.

Some clues:
1. I know there were also Black Sex Links for sale on that same day (and neither chick had the white dot on their heads).
2. "Rainbow" is feathering quite blue/gray - definitely not as black as we thought it would become (maybe that is still to come?)
3. They are both growing quite fast. For reference in the pictures, the ISA browns we bought on the same day and today, at almost exactly 5 weeks old, they tower over the ISA Browns.
4. Tried to check the color on the bottom of their feet, they are both yellow (not super bright yellow, but definitely more yellow than white/pink)
5. "Rainbow's" comb seems to be turning a brighter red (maybe he is Rain-beau?)

I am assuming they are both the same breed since they were the only black breed in the bin they were picked up from, and they seem to be the same general shape and size, but that might not mean anything. So my initial guesses were either Australorp, Black Sex-Link, Jersey Giant, Asian Black, Black Andalusion.

Unicorn (darker in background) and Rainbow (gray in foreground) at 1 week:
View attachment 2192823

Around 3 weeks:
View attachment 2192827

Rainbow at 5 weeks:
View attachment 2192833

Unicorn at 5 weeks:

View attachment 2192838
View attachment 2192840

Any ideas??
Thanks for your help!
Rainbow is definitely a cockerel. I think they're sapphire gems.

Back
Top Bottom