Mystery blood on side of feeder

MrsClucky

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 10, 2008
Silverton, OR
This is the second time I've found blood on the side of the feeder or waterer. From the way it looks, it appears that a chicken with a bloody head? comb? ate from the feeder and left splotches on the side. All the hens and the rooster look fine - I can see no sign of injury (although I can't get very close to these).

There's a little rooster on that side who "has words" with a bigger rooster on the other side of the chicken wire fence. It might be that big roo hurt little roo and that's the cause of the blood. It's a significant amount of blood, though, and I would have thought I'd see some sort of wound.

I'm more worried that it might be some sort of disease, although I can't imagine what.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I have that problem too. The girls will pick at the Roos comb and it starts to bleed a little. By the time I notice the blood everybody is fine, the bleeding has stopped and no sign of a problem. I did catch him bleeding once and put on a little blu-kote and all was well. I wouldn't worry about it.

I too have found this on occasion, but when I inspect the birds all seems fine. I think the girls get a little testy every now and then and will just wear out the roos, Just like on this forum when someones husband ticks them off and they seek comfort in numbers. do you have anything on the feeders that a comb may get hung up on as he feeds??. or some loose or sharp areas that he could have possibly got into while running from the crazed hens??. just do a good inspection of their living quarters to ease your mind and maybe find the answer.

AL

Thank you, Overrun and Lone Cowboy!!!

I'll inspect the chicken area but I think it's either the girls or the neighbor roo who's roughing up my little guy.

I really appreciate your replies - now I won't have nightmares about chicken ebola or something horrible like that!

Bea

Oh al6517, you are just still cranky about the rabbit cages
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom