Mystery Blood

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tylersmum, Oct 27, 2011.

1. tylersmum

tylersmum Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Maine
    When cleaning the poop board off this morning I noticed a bunch of blood drops. Big drops, probably a couple tablespoons of blood I would guess, all dried. There was no poo in with the blood, only blood drops. The biggest drops were in line with the other poo piles but then the smaller drops trailed off of the board. I am not sure which chicken the it came from but I have 3 barred rocks, 3 easter eggers and 2 austrolorps - all about 6 months old. None of the girls are acting off this morning, except that they are mad because it is raining again. I couldn't find any wounds or visible blood on the chickens anywhere. I checked the vent areas (of the chickens that let me touch them) and they looked fine.
    Is there something I should do for the girls? Anything I should look for? Blood makes me concerned...

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I had that happen once, and it turned out that one of my chickens had injured her comb somehow, and it did bleed alot. I really didn't do anything, because the wound was just like a scratch, and she was fine. I was surprised at the amount of blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by