Mystery boys from Ideal. Ordered 12, got 23... What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elmtree, Feb 26, 2013.

1. elmtree

elmtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    Derry,NH
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Unsure but I bet the extras are all boys!!

3. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

Bonus!

4. elmtree

Feb 26, 2013
    Derry,NH
    Yes, they are all males. They are quite funny and a couple of them are really sweet. Can anyone tell me what breed they are?

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd guess something red but it's hard to say if they're hatchery RIR, New Hampshire, or production red.

6. elmtree

Feb 26, 2013
    Derry,NH
    Yes, I was thinking production but it would be nice to know for sure. I don't have room in my coop for 23 birds, so I'm going to take the boys to my friends farm for butchering at 10-12 weeks. They are really getting huge already at two weeks old. Also, 8 roosters is seven too many I've heard lol

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Ah, then the breed would be "dinner"! ;) By 10-12 weeks, you'll be better able to see how their coloring is turning out and whether they have black tails. Those would be the deciding factors for what sort of red cockerels they are. Are you going to pick one to pardon?

8. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I like to let my roos grow up a bit so I can see how they turn out.

9. elmtree

Feb 26, 2013
    Derry,NH
    I would love to keep one! In addition to my eight roos (for warmth), I received 2 Java, 2 Australorp,2 BO, 2 SL, and I also got 4 straight run " Ameraucana's". Actually, they are EE's I found out today, and 2 silver Sebrights, straight run. So I can only keep one Rooster or risk them fighting right? My coop is about 8'*4' as I was only planning on maybe 20 birds max, mostly bantams eventually, and a huge yard for free ranging. On the straight run I am waiting to see if any of those turn out to be Roos so I can decide who to keep. What a depressing thought. ... Love all of them!

10. elmtree

Feb 26, 2013
    Derry,NH
    [​IMG]

If I get a roo out of one of my Sebrights I think I want to keep him. I've read that they are very good Roos. Any ideas on how long before I can tell on Sebrights?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by