Mystery Calendar Chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickyMomm, Feb 5, 2014.

1. ChickyMomm

ChickyMomm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    Hi guys! I bought the 2014-Chicken calendar, and saw this beautiful lady when I flipped to February! I've been searching everywhere and now I thought I should just take a picture, post it, and hope for the best. I really love the way her feathers are and was wondering what breed it is! I'm not an expert in chicken breeds, so I'm stumped. Could I have some help?

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    If its the 2014 byc calendar, just go through that thread to see who owns her....but she looks like a cochin

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Cochin or Cochin bantam, not sure on the variety.

4. Beakz

Beakz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    definitely buff brahma

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Quote:Brahmas have pea combs, this bird has a single comb. :)

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's a cochin hen, looks like a mixed color. Not much for scale, but she looks like a bantam. Cochins are known for being very rounded, with the poofy tail and feathered legs. They're also quiet, docile birds that go broody fairly often. And in weird places......[​IMG]
    like a feeder! Silly girl.....

[​IMG]
    She kept knocking the makeshift lid off the top of the feeder to keep trying to brood there, I finally had to tie it on with baling twine. Didn't want her going broody right then--it was late fall.

But, now it's coming up on spring and I think she's getting interested again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by