Mystery Cat Sighting

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chantay, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Chantay

Chantay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Carrollton, GA
    Last night around 9pm while on my way to feed and water everyone I saw a set of eyes in the woods. I have a nifty spotlight/flashlight headband that I wear when I go out after dark. I could definately tell that they were not chicken eyes glowing at me. As I got closer I could tell that it was a cat sitting on a tree stump on the opposite side of the chicken coop. At first I thought that it was just a large cat but it was the largest cat that I have ever seen. When I got closer to it the cat ran off to another tree stump and watched as I fed and watered the chickens and bunnies. I tried to get a better look at it but it was very dark even with my headlight. This extra large cat looked like it was gray striped. I looked at pictures online of bobcats and they don't seem to have the same color pattern as this mystery cat. Any ideas of what might be roaming around in the Georgia backwoods??

2. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    it could be anything from a bobcat to a panther to a bear cub or just an oversized tomcat. i would know i live in south ga [​IMG]

3. Chantay

Mar 13, 2009
    Carrollton, GA
    G R E A T !!! Maybe it was just an oversized tom cat as it didn't seem to frightened of me.

4. Papadavid

Papadavid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    If it was bobcat, it would most likely taken off.

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Agreed.

I have a 22 lb. cat that is 16 yrs old. He's not fat, he's just x-large...

6. Chantay

Mar 13, 2009
    Carrollton, GA
    That's good to know! I don't mind it staying around to eat mice and pocket gophers as long as it leaves the chickens & ducks alone. It didn't seem to be bothering anyone last night...just watching very closely.

7. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
  8. slaird61

slaird61 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    It could have been a Maine Coon cat or a mix of. Maine Coons can get to about 30 lbs easily though the breed standard says they should only grow to 25 lbs. Here is the wiki info on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Coon .

9. Chantay

Mar 13, 2009
    Carrollton, GA
    Thanks for the link! That may have been what it was. Hopefully I can get a picture of it if I see it in the daytime. I really hope its not a "bad" cat!

10. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    There are like 40 cats running around my property. Small ones and huge ones. I have NO idea why there so many cats!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by