Mystery Cause

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crazyhen95, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Crazyhen95

Crazyhen95 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    OK today one of my 7 month old barred rocks died and I have no idea what caused her death and if it it contagist. Early afternoon I noticed her hiding behind the grill. She had diarrhea and she had her beak open and her breathing didn't seem normal. What could have caused her death? I also have a golden comet that waddles cause the area between her legs is firm. What could cause that?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do you still have the dead chicken? I urge you to refrigerate it and look for a lab to do a necropsy. The death absolutely has a cause, and for your peace of mind and for the well being of the rest of your flock, you need to know what killed your Barred Rock.

It sounds like your Golden Comet could have acites. (Pronounced: ah-cee-tees) This is caused by fluid accumulating in the abdominal cavity due to liver dysfunction.

Acites isn't a disease, but a symptom of something going on internally. This could be related to the death of the other chicken, so this is why it's so important to get a necropsy so you will know what you're dealing with. Not knowing could have serious consequences for your flock, and even other flocks in the area.

Call a vet or your university extension office for information on where to go for this.

Please let us know what you find out.

3. Crazyhen95

Crazyhen95 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    I just remembered that there was some red in her diarrhea and she didn't seem sick on monday so it happened fast which has me worried for my other chickens cause when I use to have ducks about half of the ducks died of gapeworm. This was a few years ago but still she died so suddenly that it has me wondering if she had gapeworm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by