1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery Chick, Bantam Cornish? Japanese?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by barkingpig, Sep 26, 2016.

1. barkingpig

barkingpig Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but I've been lurking for quite awhile. Like most, I'm just hopeful this chick is a female but I'm also trying to ID here with only a few possibilities given where she came from. She is approximately 4 weeks old and jumped out of the brooder when she saw me come into the feed store and said "pick me, pick me". Given the assorted bantam choices, she should be a Japanese Bantam, Old English, or Cornish. At first I was leaning towards Cornish but I'm not sure what to think about her leg color. No significant comb development but the comb area is wider than my other chicks. I'd appreciate any ideas...thanks so much!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Don't know but, wondered who is feather plucking her/him?

3. barkingpig

barkingpig Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Hmmm....I've seen no evidence of feather plucking or any feathers in the brooder. I have 3 chicks and 2 are 1 week younger than the platinum chick in question. He/she is definitely in the dinosaur stage and is pushing out feathers everywhere and is looking rather ragged. I'll keep my eyes out for that behavior although I've never seen chicks engage in feather plucking before.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    It's too young to tell at this point

5. barkingpig

barkingpig Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Okay, thanks for replying!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by