Mystery Chick -- for fun!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KlaHaYa Gardens, Apr 18, 2011.

1. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Okay, so I threw a few eggs in the incubator that were from various hens/roosters that roam free opposed to isolated for breeding. Most of my birds are rare breeds.

So here is the game:[​IMG]

I just hatched (or the chick and God hatched) a little guy/gal out of a large medium brown egg. The chick is yellow (white) with pink AND black skin. What might it be?! No feathered legs, no tufts or beards. The legs are yellow. The beak is yellow. The down is consistent yellow. There is black skin on the wings and a spot on the head. (Possibly elsewhere.)

*tries to think of what birds roam loose that lay a large medium brown egg*

Hen possibilities:
    I have an Australorp and two Silver laced Wyandottes, and argh, I can't even think of what I have. *draws complete blank* All I can think of are the hens that *don't* lay a large medium brown egg.

Roos:

White Ameraucana (bearded and tufted)
    Rumpless blue Araucana
    Blue Sumatra
    Silver Phoenix
    Black Tailed White Japanese
    Golden Lakenvelder
    Barred Rock

(I'll look in the coop in the morning and see which hens/roos I've forgotten.)

Let the games (guessing) begin!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. KlaHaYa Gardens

Apr 14, 2011
    The wee one is almost dry. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

The chick and her shell. (A large egg shell.)
    [​IMG]

The chick's tail, though this wasn't the best shot/angle. (But the chick kept coming to me! She wouldn't cooperate!)
    [​IMG]

This picture is poor quality, I know, but I was trying to hold the chick and snap a pic one-handed. (I'll try to get a better one in a day or two when I have an extra hand to help.) Anyway, the skin under this spot is black. It appears the base of the feathers are dark, too. All the down is yellow.
    [​IMG]

What puzzles me about this chick is how light she is. I just can't think of what made her come out so light considering the birds I have and that she came from a brown egg. i don't have any light colored birds that lay brown eggs.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    it might feather out to be wheaton, those chicks are yellow. IDK on the mix, can you see the comb? That would help some.

4. KlaHaYa Gardens

Apr 14, 2011
    I'll try for a pic of the head later when someone is here to help me.

I just checked on the chick -- still a bit wet! But, I noted two more dark spots; one on either side of the tail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by