Mystery Chick from a Blue/Green Egg (UK)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by julibob, Apr 15, 2012.

1. julibob

julibob Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    This chick hatched on Easter Sunday :) . He/She came from a blue egg and the hens are all running with various cocks! Clearly not a Cream Legbar cross. So Araucana or Ameraucana? Any ideas please!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    doesnt looks like it has a crest or a beard, what color chickens do you have? that could help narrow down the breeds.

3. julibob

julibob Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    I bought these eggs blind from a smallholding. I only know that it was a blue egg. :)

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    It could possibly be an Isbar or Legbar cross. It has a single comb and doesn't have a (noticable) crest or beard.

5. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar Premium Member

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    There are lots of barnyard mixes that lay blue eggs. The mixes will ussually have a pea comb that is dominate to a single comb. A resessive single comb gene could still be present and show up in off spring expecially if the father has a single comb. The chances of the mother passing the single comb gene and blue egg gene together however in a 1 in 20 chance though since the pea comb and the blue egg gene are located so close to each other on the gene map.

I agree that this is not from legbar ancentry since there is no white spot on the head from the barring gene. I don't think Isbars are even avaialbe in the UK, so that would be out too. I would guess the blue gene that the mother had was from an Araucana because like the Isbars I don't think there are Americaunas in the UK.

If this chick is a female is will not likely lay green eggs like its mother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by