Mystery chick from Ideal Surprise Special

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sred98, Jan 6, 2011.

1. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    This is the only chick out of 15 that I can't identify. My son thought she was a Dark Cornish at first, but she's definitely not. I am wondering if she's a muffless/beardless EE. I have 2 other regular EE babies that came in with her, and they do look identical except for the smooth face.

Here are some pics:

This is a shot of her green legs

[​IMG]

Here is her coloring and head shot

[​IMG]

This is a closeup of her pea comb

[​IMG]

Any ideas? No muffs or beard. Green legs. Pea comb. Standard size bird.

Thanks!

Shelly

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    It looks like an easteregger. And if it was an extra suprise chick...its probably a male. 97% or so of the time those are the extra males. My inlaws got one in their batch from MM that ended up a pullet...but that instance is SO rare.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  3. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:No, I ordered the Surprise PULLET Special, so it better be a girl! LOL! So, you think it looks like a beardless EE? That is what I was afraid of.

Anyone else?

Thanks for the reply!

Shelly

4. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    I have one that looks JUST LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How old is she? They told me mine is an Amerucana when I bought her at the Feed store. Mine is 6 weeks old.

5. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    She is 4 weeks old, but she doesn't have the puffy cheeks like an Ameraucana. They are really Easter Eggers, since they're from a hatchery. But mine should have fluffy cheeks and doesn't. That's why I'm confused. I was wondering if there are any other breeds out there with green legs that look like EE do. [​IMG]

She's a cutie, though. And SO friendly!

Shelly

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    If she had a different comb I would guess Buttercup because they have green legs as well. Looks like a cute EE girls though- I have a couple from Ideal that are clean faced.

7. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    It's an EE I have one just like her. Mine is a pullet and I believe yours is too.

8. WisconsinChickenWhisperer

WisconsinChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Webster, Wisconsin
    Quote:I got 3 Ameraucana (EE) from Ideal: 2 of them have beards/muffs, 1 doesn't. She looks identical to one of the other 2, she just doesn't have the beard/muffs. She was the first girl in my flock to lay, and she lays me a beautiful olive green egg practically every day.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Easter Egger.

They don't have to have muffs/beards. . . Half the ones I got from Murray McMurray years ago didn't.

10. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

I believe it is and Easter Egger (EE). But one that didn't get the gene for the earmuffs and beard. Cute though. If it is a female you may get blue-green eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by