mystery chick from Ideal

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by horsejody, Feb 29, 2008.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Well, Ideal sent me a surprise. I ordered 12 Black Jersey Giant eggs. I put them in the bator with one mixed breed chick from my neighbors coop (she wanted to be part of the hatching experience, but didn't want a whole bator full). The eggs were all marked. Five JG eggs had to be tossed for lack of development. 6 JG eggs and 1 mixed breed egg went into the hatcher. So far I have 5 hatched. 3 look like black JG's should look, one is a solid beautiful reddish buff color and 1 is striped ( kinda chipmunk colored). I guess the eggs got a little mixed up at the hatchery. I am still waiting on 2 eggs to hatch. When everybody is in the brooder, I'll get good pictures. Maybe we can figure out which is the mixed breed and which one is the oops chick from Ideal. [​IMG]

I have another bator going with eggs due in two weeks. That one has 10 JG eggs & 5 silkie eggs from okcarla and 2 eggs from girls.

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on the hatch and good luck with the identifying!

[​IMG]

3. ThreeGlovers

ThreeGlovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    Beebe, Arkansas
    Just taking a guess about the chipmunk colored chick I would guess that it is an Ameraucana. That is exactly how I would describe the ones I just recieved fron Ideal. Now there may be other breeds that look the same I don't know.

Bo

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:I called Ideal. They thought maybe the same thing.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:I called Ideal. They thought maybe the same thing.

Now that I think of it, if it was an Ameraucana, wouldn't it have been in a colored egg? This one came out of plain old brown one. That one might even have been my neighbors baby. The buff one might be my mystery chick.

6. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

some "ameraucanas" -- really EEs -- lay brown eggs .. depends on the mix which produced them in the first place ...

I know this because my friend and chicken-mentor raises EEs primarily for eggs, and they sell the wildest assortment of eggs, everything from barely creamcolor, through blue, green, khaki, several different variants of SPOTTED eggs (think green spotted with reddish brown !), "pink", and brown from light to dark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by