MYSTERY CHICK Identification Help Please!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlpineSpringsRanch, May 17, 2011.

1. AlpineSpringsRanch

AlpineSpringsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Here is the little guy....first thing I thought was it looked like what I have heard about sex links with a star...but sex link wouldn't be rare...and really, I've never seen one so I wouldn't know either way

Any and all help identifying this little one appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Barred rock pullet

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Looks like a barred rock to me

4. AlpineSpringsRanch

Mar 20, 2011
    How funny, the only reason I didn't order those is because my local feed store stocks them regularly so I was going to go get a couple to put in with these guys on Wednesday when they come in. How can you tell pullet so early? Is it the star or something else??

5. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:Some people can tell by the circle dot on the head what sex the chick is, I haven't gotten that good yet. Its just called a dot on the head.

6. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    dark coloring down the front of the legs often causes pullet suggestions - was accurate on my birds

7. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:I have 29 7 day old br chicks and they all have the dark coloring on the legs at the moment but I know they aren't all pullet I hatched them my self. I wouldn't have that much luck lol....

But when they are about 5- 7 weeks old the roos will start to grow out of it .
    The best way for me to tell is when they are 5 - 7 weeks old their feathers change and the male will look lighter color than the female.
    The female will be a black color and male will be grey.

These are my very first br chicks in 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  8. AlpineSpringsRanch

Mar 20, 2011
    @Stormy. For what its worth you are right. This little one turned out to be a roo...and has since moved on down the road!

9. MicheleC

MicheleC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Lake Charles
    BR

10. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Actually if this is one of the free mystery chicks they usually are supposed to be a rare breed and BR are about as common as you can get. I am wondering if it could be a Cuckoo Marans? What Hatchery sis you get them from? Very cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by